Established 1904
About The Englishtown Fire Department
Following a disastrous fire that swept through Englishtown in the early 1900s, it became evident to the citizens that a more organized means of fire protection was necessary. This pivotal moment marked the beginning of the community’s commitment to creating a local fire department.
In June of 1904, a local resident, Mr. W.E. Mount, presented an ordinance to provide the means for extinguishing fires. The ordinance called for the creation of a fire department composed of 50 volunteer members, all residents of Englishtown and over the age of 18.
On June 27, 1904, the first official meeting was held, and it was voted and carried that the name of the company be:
The Applegate Engine and Hose Company
After choosing a name, the department moved quickly to establish its presence. A lot was secured at the corner of Main Street and Tennent Avenue, and construction of a firehouse began—designed to house the department’s equipment and serve as a headquarters for operations.
On September 30, 1904, the newly formed Hose Company was officially organized and prepared to serve. That same day, the department responded to a fire—one that had further galvanized the need for its creation. The incident became a historical cornerstone of the organization’s legacy.
This founding story reflects the dedication, vision, and resilience of Englishtown’s earliest volunteers—traits that continue to define the Englishtown Fire Department to this day.

